Today I had my first visit to the outpatient clinic. I was very, very, very scared to be back at the hospital again but I tried my best to be Dada's little toughie. I tried not to cry when we went in and I even put my arm out for the nurse when she got the blood pressure monitor out.
But when they poked around in my tummy where my stitches were and then took more blood from me, I screamed my head off. Enough is enough.
The last straw was when they wanted me to do a wee on the potty there. I was petrified and Mama and Dada had never heard me scream like that before. Needless to say, they didn't get their wee.
The news was all very good, it looks like my kidneys will work again like they should, and if all goes well, I may not have any more problems. They will just monitor a few things for the next few years to make sure everything is still alright.
They told us that it was a bug called e. coli that caused all this. We really don't know where I got it from, it usually comes from uncooked meat or unpasteurised milk or even soft-serve ice-cream. Since I didn't have any of these things before I got sick, we just don't know. The only thing they think maybe it could have been was some salami, but we're not even sure if I ate that. It's hard to remember what you ate a month ago!
The health department in Bonn contacted Mama and Dada, since this is such a serious bug, and they want to make sure that no other little kids get sick like me. They told us that it could have been picked up anywhere - someone might not have washed their hands properly and then prepared some food that I ate, or it could have been from water, or from ground where animals had been in the park, even from unwashed fruit or vegetables. I guess we will never know.
One bad thing is that I am not allowed to see my little friends or go to my kindergarten until they are sure that the bug is all gone. They will know when they test 3 of my poos and find that there is no bug left in them. (Sorry if this is too much information, but think of poor Mama and Dada having to spoon my poo into jars and drive it to the hospital!!!)
Anyway, I am feeling much better and am very happy that I don't have to go back to the hospital for one whole month. Yippee!
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment